There are many more photos representing ethical partnership, learning, and service across cultures than we have seen in the contest thus far. You suggested the original contest guidelines were too long. We listened. The short version is below. Entry information follows.
– Ethical Photography & Global Service: 4 Principles, 4 Examples –
1. Choose photos that represent the people truthfully and show dignity, equality, support and integrity.
2. Ensure those being represented in the images maintain the right to share their story in their own way.
3. Abstain from using photos that potentially “stereotype, sensationalise or discriminate against people, situations or places.
4. Use images, messages and case studies with the full understanding, participation and permission (or subjects’ parents/guardian) of the subjects.
Enter the contest by posting your photo to Instagram or Cowbird, adding a caption to say what’s happening, and tagging it with #ethicalphotography, #mutuallearning, #crossculturalcooperation, and/or #newpossibilities. Let us know you entered by tweeting it and tagging us or connecting with us on Facebook about it.
The 4 guidelines above are distilled from recommendations by respected global development organizations including The Child Rights International Network, Comhlámh, Dochas Network, How Matters, and USAID. The esteemed international judges panel looks forward to seeing your submissions.
Anyone can enter. We are accepting submissions through August 15.